Career Information & Opportunities
A degree in chemistry enables students to follow career paths leading to a wide variety of jobs in academia, industry, government and public service.
The first steps in finding information about careers are two undergraduate courses offered to chemistry majors: First Year Seminar (PSU 016) and The Professional Chemist (CHEM 316). Both of these courses introduce students to the many opportunities open to chemistry majors. During the courses, students will meet speakers from a variety of fields and learn first hand about preparing for jobs.
In addition to course work, students can learn more about careers in chemistry by visiting the American Chemical Society Careers web site.
The Eberly College of Science Career and International Education Office offers information and advice about internships, cooperative education and international education. See their facebook page for information about specific events (Fall Career Days, Ed Abroad Fair, etc...) and opportunities for co-ops, internships, study abroad or international opportunities and the like.
Students are also encouraged to use the resources of Penn State Career Services. This unit offers free advice on job searches, resume preparation and interviewing skills.
Job, Internship, & Research Opportunities
- Ashton Tweed, Ltd. - May 2013
- Seeking qualified applicants for a staff position as a “Particualte Scientist”.
- Exelon Nuclear - April 2013
- Seeking qualified applicants for a staff position as an “instrumentation chemist” at the Peach Bottom plant. It’s not a position for a bench-chemist, but experience as one is absolutely required to write procedures and direct technicians on quality techniques. We’re in nuclear power so we need someone safe, reliable and able to follow procedures and work in the system to improve procedures where needed.
- ASSURED TESTING SERVICES - April 2013
- Assured Testing Services is seeking a technical sales engineer for the company. The position is well suited for someone with a strong technical background who is looking to exercise creativity and become a leader in our small company.
- GlobeMed's 6th Annual Global Health Conference this Weekend!! - April 2013
- GlobeMed, is hosting this year's Global Health Conference at Penn State. The theme of the conference is "Finding Your Place in the Movement," and it is taking place April 5-6, in the Life Science Building on campus.
- FREE 1-week Summer Research Workshop for Undergraduates at UC Berkeley - April 2013
- UC Berkeley is offering a free one-week summer research workshop that introduces students to research on nanotechnology and designing low-energy electronic devices.
- Peach Bottom Plant Job Opening - Mar. 2013
- Candidates needed for a staff position as a “instrumentation chemist” at the Peach Bottom plant.
- University at Buffalo Chemistry REU for Summer 2013 - Mar. 2013
- REU participants will have a choice of projects including research in chemical biology/medicinal chemistry, analytical, environmental, catalysis and inorganic/organic materials chemistry.
- Graduating Seniors - Chemist Position in Somerset, PA - Mar. 2013
- A chemist position with a small chemical company in Somerset, PA. The are looking for a B.S. or Ph.D. chemist.
- Myriant Corportaion Scholarship - Mar. 2013
- Myriant Corporation Scholarship for Excellence in Bio-Energy and Energy Sustainability
- Co-op Opportunity McNeil Consumer HealthCare, Inc. Mar. 2013
- McNeil Consumer HealthCare, Inc. part of Johnson and Johnson is recruiting a Co-op located at Fort Washington for later half of 2013. Candidates should have taken classes of analytical chemistry and organic chemistry, and have a good understanding, particularly of HPLC and LC MS.
- Northwestern University MS Program in Neurobiology - Feb. 2013
- The Department of Neurobiology at Northwestern University currently has a very small one-year MS program in Neurobiology.
- Outstanding Opportunity for Chem, Math, & Physics Graduates Feb. 2013
- Western Kentucky University has developed an exciting and innovative, federally-funded program called GSKyTeach.
- Associates for our Quality/Clinical/Regulatory Rotation Program Jan. 2013
- 2 rotational programs - quality, clinical, regulatory rotation at a medical device company, fragrance rotation elsewhere
- Long Term Chemistry Substitute Jan. 2013
- West Chester Area School District, would like to get the word out that there is a Long Term Substitute opening in the Chemistry Department at East High School.
- National Institute of Standards and Technology's Gaithersburg, MD Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) Jan. 2013
- Please consider a Summer Research Experience with the a National Institute of Standards and Technologies Laboratory by participating in the NIST SURF Program, sponsored by the National Institute of Standards and Technology and the National Science Foundation,
- Astronaut Scholarship Foundation Jan. 2013
- The Astronaut Scholarship Foundation awards $10,000 to outstanding students who exhibit motivation, imagination, and exceptional performance in the fields of engineering, mathematics and natural or applied sciences.
- Nebraska - Summer Research Program Jan. 2013
- 2013 Nebraska Summer Research Program housed on the campus of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Chemist Opportunity at Sigma Aldrich - Jan. 2013
- Chemist Opportunity for an Associate Scientist at Sigma-Aldrich in Bellefonte.
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships in Molecular & Integrative Physiology - Jan. 2013
- The Department of Molecular & Integrative Physiology at the University of Michigan offers summer fellowship programs to support undergraduate students that are interested in research in physiology and/or biomedical sciences.